Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Sweet Success

So, I decided to start blogging again. I kept finding inspiration from other people who are blogging about their own personal stories and wanted to do one about mine. Now why???

  1. Just because I can.
  2. I want to track my life's timeline that includes meeting goals, high achievements, big life happenings, etc...
I don't really know where to start but I guess I can start here:

As of Saturday, December 13th, 2014, I graduated from a university in Wisconsin where I completed my Masters program! The program that I pursued for two more years, upon completion of my undergraduate degree (BBA, Human Resources Management), was Higher Educational Leadership (my PASSION). In my 25 years of living and breathing, never would I have thought that I would continue on with my education after receiving my bachelors degree to pursue something that I was really, truly passionate about. Buuuuuut, I sure am darn glad that I did.

Now a lot of you may ask me, "Exactly, what is higher educational leadership?" And to be honest, there really is no RIGHT definition to for it. But in my own words, I would define it as, "the growth and development of students in a higher education institution in becoming future leaders." Hmm... Not bad, right?

Anyways, I've had my mind set on becoming an Academic Advisor or Career Advisor upon completion of this program. Why? I enjoy working with students, more specifically, working with them one-on-one. I enjoy getting to know them and assisting them with finding the right career path. Throughout my whole entire high school career and onto my college career, I've had so many great mentors who helped me to get where I am. I thought, why not do the same to the students who really actually need the help? It can't be that hard.... (Truthfully, only time will tell about that.)

I also have a great passion for writing and editing student resumes. Although, honestly, at times student grammatical and spelling errors can annoy me, I still LOVE doing it! Something about the resume really drives me and makes me motivated to fix it up, make sure it's in the right format, template, and has all the correct verbiage. Now that's called P A S S I O N period

Back to graduation day. As I woke up early that morning and got myself ready to walk across that stage, I felt proud and a huge sense of accomplishment. Though my brothers and sisters were not able to attend the ceremony, my biggest supporters were there to watch me, MOM & DAD. As I walked across that stage, shook the Chancellors hand, hugged the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs and received the empty diploma case, I thought to myself, "Wow, you really did it. You REALLY did." I walked down the stage and looked up to where my parents sat, and as I did that, I put on a huge smile and waved at them thinking how proud they must be that their daughter completed her Masters degree.

Everyone has their own stories about their parents but just knowing that my parents were able to raise 10 kids upon arriving to the United States with no English, it just amazes me how well we were brought up, and how far all of us kids have gone. My parents tell my siblings and me all the time that because they are not smart, they get stuck with the least desired (factory, company, assembly line) jobs . Now, I think the complete opposite of them regardless of what kind of job they hold.

My parents are smart because they knew that they had to go take English language classes to be able to survive in the U.S. Even when they had no babysitter, they took us to class with them (I remembered this because I was one who went with them.). They knew they had to provide food, shelter, and clothing for us so they went out to find work. They knew that if they wanted their children to have better lives, they should give their children an education. Even with 10 kids they were able to make sure we had an enjoyable Christmas, birthday, Halloween, etc.

My parents have got to be something the most inspiring people I have ever met. They raised all of us kids to be hardworking and to work for what we want. They paved the path to success for us. So THANK YOU Mom and Dad for being smart enough to do what you had to for all of us 10 kids and always putting us first.

Lastly, WE DID IT! Thank you for all of your love and support! Ua tsaug kuv Niam thiab kuv Txiv.



No comments:

Post a Comment